Rotating House in Dwellingup
The concept for this private commission in 2003 grew from the donation of a 50 ton crane bed. The client’s idea was to design and construct a rotating house in the middle of a lake in Dwellingup, WA.
The Engineering Part
Using a light-weight truss frame construction, significant footings and an outboard
stabilisation frame, the house was built with an unlimited 360 degree rotation capability.
We incorporated a 240V SEW Variable Speed Drive to adjust the rate of rotation between 3 Revolutions Per Minute and 1 Revolution Per Day.
Water services were connected using rotary glands at the centre of the house. Similarly, waste water services incorporated a macerator, pump and rotary glands, were connected centrally. The power supply was connected via carbon slip rings.
- Rotation with 240 V SEW Variable Speed Drive
- Rotation Speed range 3RPH – 1RPD
- Portable water service through Rotary Glands
- Waste Water service through macerator, pump and rotary glands
- Power Supply via Carbon Slip Rings